Your gift can make a difference🎄
“Poverty feels like you’re on the outside looking in – you cannot afford to take part.”
People in poverty describe financial insecurity as “a spider’s web, almost impossible to get out of”. Despite Christmas being a happy and joyful time of year, for many people in poverty, the season can add pressure to tight budgets and fragile situations.
This year, due to the cost-of-living crisis, many families face even stronger hardships than in past years. The current price spikes are ensnaring people even more, as one grandmother explains:
“Last winter, people in our community were already choosing between heating and eating. There’s a fuel crisis, a food price crisis, an inflation crisis. How many crises can you have? People can’t even afford the bus fare to get to the foodbank. These are scary times.”
ATD Fourth World works to end chronic poverty in the UK through an approach that defends human dignity. Our work has never been more vital. As costs spiral and Christmas approaches, please consider regular giving by standing order to bolster our action. Here are a few ways your gift makes an impact:
- £5 covers one person’s travel costs to attend a Christmas well-being event.
- £28 covers the cost of two hours for one of our core team to organise workshops for children where we bake biscuits and make ornaments together. As an act of solidarity, this team of highly skilled and qualified professionals all agree to work for only the London living wage of £10.85 an hour, £14 with overhead costs.
- £150 purchases groceries for home-cooked Sunday roast meals during a well-being break.
- £300 supports the technical and staffing costs to prepare every aspect of an outing or residential activity, including many home visits.
- As we all keep going, £500 helps keep our lights on and our staff and houses cared for.
To donate, please click on our JustGiving page.